Monday, September 11, 2006

ASSHOLE GUY

Saturday, Theresa and I went to Toyota of Plano. I asked her to come along and assist me in the purchase of the car, specifically when it came to the negotiating the finance part. I'm really glad I did. The finance manager, Danny Cantu, starts his extended warranty speech. He's drawing diagrams and asking leading questions. As Il DR had warned, he try to pull a bunch of psychological crap, make you feel stupid and cheap for not buying the warranty. It's one thing to try and sell something, it's another to pull dishonest shit like this...
..here's Theresa's recollection....


After being ignored by a group of salesmen congratulating each other on the size of their cocks, we finally got a manager Darrick to help us. He was nice.

The finance mgr gave the long shpeil about gap insurance and extended warranty. (Shock and awe tactic). I ask him to get to the point. (I have little patience for mind games.) He rambled on further and without as so much asking if you wanted it or saying that he was adding it, his next statement was "and your payments are going to be ...."

Me: Does that include the gap insurance & extended warranty?
Finance Guy: Yes
Me: Bill, do you want that?
Bill: No
Finance Guy: Ok. Your payments will now be $X. Now all I need is your $7K deposit.
Me: Wait. Is the deal done? Does he get the car?
FG: No. We need to wait for credit approval.
Me: So why does he need to put down the $7K now if he's not getting anything?
FG: Well when he's approved, we'll close the deal. This is how we do it.
Me: Can I see an itemized receipt of the final total?
FG: Why?
Me: Well, I just want to see the details to make sure that extras weren't added that didn't need to be on there?
FG: What extras? What do you mean?
Me: Well you added the gap ins and ext warranty without asking Bill if he wanted it. I just want to make sure that nothing else made it onto the total.
FG: I asked him.
Me: No you didn't. You explained what it was and said "and your payments will be..."
FG: (Prints itemized list). You know what, you don't have to put down the $7K right now. This isn't how we do business here. Once your application is approved, I'll give you a call. Thank you Bill. (Doesn't acknowledge me.)
Bill: Thanks.
Me: Thanks Dan. (I wanted him to know that I noticed.)

He was angry. Theresa really cockblocked him. After lunch, I kept thinking what happened and I was over the XB. I decide to go to Toyota of Richardson. I'm sitting down with Sanjay, telling him what I want and about Plano. I inform him I'm willing to "put X% down and I don't want any bullshit." His eyes are bugging out of his head. He goes and gets someone else. The rest was great, we went back and forth till we came up with a good deal and you've seen the result in the previous post. In a way, I'm glad Danny screwed it up because I found a better car and a better deal at Richarson. Both the saleman and finance guy were professional and courteous, and I left happy.

Danny calls me Monday morning. Here's our conversation.

D: The bank didn't approve your loan Mr. Hood, but I can put you on with our Special Finance department. (also known as the "Let's-Jack-Up-The-Interest-Rate-Department")
Me: That isn't necessary.
D: Why is that?
Me: Because I already bought a new car Saturday afternoon. I went to Toyota of Richardson and they took care of me.
D: Oh...Why didn't you come back to Toyota of Plano?
Me: Because I didn't like the way you treated me and Theresa...
D: (interrupting) I'm sorry Toyota of Plano left a bad taste in your mouth. I hope when you buy your next car, you consider Toyota of Plano.
Me: Not a chance.

2 Comments:

At 6:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great choice man!

 
At 6:53 AM , Blogger Bill said...

She is a warrior and the NUMBER 1 person I'd want watching my back in ANY situation!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home